Monday, February 7, 2011

Tapas

The love we make in community stays with us wherever we go.  With this knowledge as our guide, we make any place we go a place where we return to love. - bell hooks  This speaks to me as to how we live and create community where ever we are, where ever we find ourselves.

So I am trying to save money by making even more food at home. For a single, white female in New York I already make more than the average SWF, according to my Jamaican friend and former co-worker. And I quote, "I have never known a white girl in New York that actually cooks."  I am happy to be her first.   

I had two friends over for dinner, one on Saturday and another on Sunday and it was delightful. Making dinner and breaking bread together is something that always creates, strengthens and reinforces community.  I made sweet and spicy collard greens.  They were "hella" good as we say in San Francisco.
Stem and cut up the collard greens into very thin slices.  Saute olive oil, onions, and crushed red pepper for about five minutes on medium to high heat. Throw the collards in the skillet, once they wilt add 1/2 cup of warm vegetable broth and a tablespoon of sugar (or less) and cover until water evaporates. This is yummy, hearty, green goodness. If you are serving more than two people I recommend that you use at least two bunches of collard greens because they dramatically reduce in size.

I also baked tofu in canola oil, soy sauce and garlic. 400 degrees for 25-35 minutes. Hella easy. Who said making tofu was hard? I used to say that until I found this recipe from The Moosewood Cookbook.. I've still been trying to plan a pilgrimage to Ithaca to visit the restaurant. Anyone want to go when the weather gets better?  The Moosewood cookbooks form the foundation of all my cooking.

I did go out to eat once this weekend, for a little social work school reuion-- to the scrumptious Stone Park Cafe on 5th Avenue and 3rd Street in Park Slope. Sunday Brunch is one of  my favorite things to do in life. I had the cheese grits with a poached egg on top--no shrimp.  Very good, everyone enjoyed their meal.  I struck up a conversation with one of the staff and turns out he was from San Francisco and we knew some people in common. I always feel closer to home when that happens.  
All this food consumption requires working out, which I've been doing a decent amount of thankfully.


Speaking of working out and consumption I just realized that I spend the same amount on coffee every month that I spend on gym membership. This is frightening especially because I brew my own coffee every morning but the amount of coffee I buy while at work per month is still the same amount I pay to work out at the New York Sports Club.  So this doesn't even count the rougly 2 1bs of Fair Trade, Guatemalan Coffee that I buy at Gorrila or the Park Slope Food Coop.  This is embarassing and I am going to change that this month. I looking at my entire budget and this is one area where I have no excuse.  Now fortunately my alcohol budget is zero and here in NYC I am sure that many bar flys and other drinkers far exceed the cost of a gym membership. 

I snapped this image on my iphone right after New Years and have to share it. There are so many possible captions.

They might drink and drive but they don't litter! Thanks for keeping New York City Clean!

2 comments:

  1. Have you joined the Coop? or just shop there? You have great intentions, Sara. I'm thinking of trying out that tofu recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a Coop member! The Park Slope Coop requires shoppers to also be members.

    ReplyDelete