Monday, January 17, 2011

A New Blog for a New Year


"We have moved from the era of civil rights to the era of human rights, an era where we are called upon to raise certain basic questions about the whole society..." MLK Jr. May 1967


As some of you know my last blog was about my sister getting married, "Beth Getting Married," alluding to the movie "Rachel Getting Married." I'll leave you to ponder what the title of this blog alludes to and I'll give you hint, "Russian existentialist."

Since Beth got married I haven't blogged at all so I've decided to start again.   As one Ani DiFranco song goes, "... just 'cause I'm here and I'm real."  I will primarily explore the following themes: Food, Home and Place, (what does it mean to live and contribute to a community that you didn't grow up in),  Religion and Spirituality ( what does this even mean now?), Sexuality, Politics, and the politics of these topics.  So I am trying to cover a lot but fortunately I'm not a perfectionist so I can aim high, come out low and not mind all that much.  I really just want to try and make some sense of this life. I hope you'll humor me.
Union Square

One thing I know for sure is that I ache for California, especially during Winter,  and so I hope to blog myself back there but in the meantime I want to blog myself into enjoying the amazing, dynamic, vibrant city where I currently reside.  In so doing I hope to find a way to be as content as possible where ever I find myself. 

Recipes 

Last night I made this recipe:  Tempeh and Eggplant Pot Pies:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Tempeh-and-Eggplant-Pot-Pies-354071.

I didn't know what "ramekins" were before this and I don't have them so I just used a regular  ole 9 inch  loaf pan and it worked out quite well.  One day I'll graduate to using ramekins but I'm just not there yet. 

 Today I'll be making a vegan Apple Crumble, adapting Anna Thomas' recipe "Farmhouse Apple Crumble," that I found in Love Soup.  Mine will be called "Urban Apple Demolition." I'll post pictures and recipes next time. 
 
-Martin Luther King Jr. Day

3 comments:

  1. Yay, you're back to blogging! Can't wait until you blog yourself back to CA, too :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait a minute there Ms. Caitlin...not so fast. ;-)
    keep up the blogging SAS...
    I'm a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sara... thank you for including me! Keep them coming...

    much love,
    Fr. David

    ReplyDelete